Lent, Day 1 - let's forget about it right away, shall we?

|

Okay, so I consider myself a Christian, Roman-Catholic to be exact. And now that Lent's started, I pledged to fast for 40 days. Behold, that does not mean I would eat nothing at all, which would not at all pose any problems to my ascetic nature and the truly basic lifestyle I'm leading not keep me alive for longer than a mere 12 hours.
Well, I do think that indeed I might make it a bit longer, but please don't complain about my crankyness and moodswings then I warn you to not expect ANYTHING of substance from the person formerly being me. Can't. do. it. Anyways, back to Lent. I resolved to abstain from coffee and alcohol for the next 40 days, things that I take in on a daily basis (the coffee, stupid!) or like to enjoy on a not-so-daily basis (well, you guessed it...). It's not impossible to do, but I've grown somewhat used to coffee lately, so I think giving it up would be a nice exercise. So here I am, the first day of Lent, namely Ash Wednesday, is shortly coming to an end and I haven't even been able to observe abstinence for just a mere day. As you might or might not know, Ash Wednesday is one of few days in the year, when Catholic christians fast and would not indulge in meats, alcohol or luxury foods, and even more so, would only eat one meal for the whole day in a way of fasting. We call that a maigre day and usually I do observe that. But today, I was doomed to fail. I did great in the beginning, with having had only a light breakfast (because, c'mon, I had to think hard today while working through a tricky manuscript) and not eating over the whole course of the day. However, this annual cooking event for the lifeguard team happened to be today and I could not just skip it, since we were taken to an actual cooking studio with instructor chefs and all. So, guess what I did on this day of fasting and abstinence?!? No need to tell more, the pictures will convey the sad truth nonetheless... The only excuse I can offer myself is the one, that like in Ramadan, it was long after dusk when I ate the first bites. Does that count??? Notwithstanding that I deeply repent it... but oh my god, was it DELICIOUS! ;-) And there are still 39 days to make up for this first, desastrous one...


Hanna

P.S.: Now, do take a closer look at the second picture - ain't that a fortunate shot, with the ghost of a chef weaving right through? To me, it appears a bit surreal... as it probably was, considering just how yummy the delicacies were that I (had to) sample(d). ;-)

1 Kommentare:

Ranjana said...

LOL.. Good luck with the next 39 days Johanna! :D Hope you get out of this one alive! Our prayers are with you :)